Leada Acrow Marks 80-Year Landmark With Fundraising Challenges
Leada Acrow, the leading falsework, formwork and groundwork supplier, is marking its 80th year in business by carrying out a string of fundraising challenges to help raise a target figure of £5,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support, the charity that helps improve the lives of everyone living with cancer.
The company was originally formed in 1936 and celebrates its 80-year in business this month. It was first registered as Acrow after the traditional Acrow Prop, itself named after Mr Arthur Crow, the solicitor who formed the company. The Acrow name has stood the test of time and forms an important part of the company’s heritage.
Barry Furlong, Director of Leada Acrow said: “80 years is a landmark anniversary and we wanted to commemorate it and help raise funds for those in need. Leada Acrow staff selected Macmillan Cancer Support as our Charity of the Year as it close to many of their hearts and all the funds raised over the next 12 months will go towards Macmillan. Our workforce has devised a year’s schedule of very energetic activity, including participating in the West Lancashire Spring Triathlon, the Southport Triathlon and the Cheshire Triathlon. Four colleagues are also carrying out the Coast to Coast cycle ride from Whitehaven to Sunderland Marina, which is no easy feat as involves cycling over 220K across Northern England.
“There is also going to be lots of other activity, including a Christmas meat raffle, a 10 mile walk, a Skydive, a charity car wash, 1 days cycling on an exercise bike and there are plans to participate in Tough Mudder, the hardcore obstacle race. Our target is to raise £5,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support but we hope we can beat that figure. Donations would be most welcome and can be made at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LeadaAcrow,” Barry continued.
Facts from 80 Years of Leada Acrow’s Existence
- The company was originally founded in Bow, London, in 1936 by Mr Arthur Crow who the traditional Acrow Prop is named after.
- When Leada Acrow was first formed, the average house price in the UK was just £550! World political leaders at the time included Stanley Baldwin (UK Prime Minister), Franklin D. Roosevelt (US President) and Adolf Hitler (German Chancellor).
- The company’s first ever depot was in Bristol. Over the years, Leada Acrow has had overseas operations in countries including Argentina, Australia, Peru, India, Spain, Zimbabwe, Iraq, Hong Kong, New Zealand and South Africa!
- During the war years, Acrow produced aircraft engine mounts, gun carriers and parts for Sherman tanks.
- A-Plant acquired Leada Acrow in 1996. It was originally known as A-Plant Acrow but the Leada Acrow brand was revived in 2013.